This is a project that I’ve been meaning to do since….well…since Eli was born. Yup, over three years ago. And I finally got to it. Every time I go to a well-baby check for the boys, I get a sheet with all their growth information. And then I bring it home and shove it in a box where other stuff just collects on top of it. I haven’t even compared the two boys to see who was bigger at different stages. That would require energy to sort through the madness of baby papers that I have yet to get in scrapbooks for them. My goal is to have them done by the time they get married. Because let’s face it – boys don’t care about that stuff, but their wives may find interest in it. So it’s all for my daughter-in-laws.
Anyway, I wanted a fun way to track the boys’ growth so that they can see how big they are getting.
I was inspired by the DIY growth boards I was seeing all over Pinterest. Here are a couple of my favorites:
I don’t know why it took me so long to do this project. And I was kind of dreading it to be honest. The gals from the above pics did such an amazing job and came up with such creative ways to do this. I just wanted to get it done. Bad attitude, I know, but hey, at least it’s done now!
So anyway, I started off by buying a cheap board. I think it was 1″ X 8 or 10″, I can’t remember. And honestly, I’m too lazy to leave the computer and go measure it. Either size will do.
I decided to make it look old and imperfect, because that’s the way I like things. That has become my style since becoming a mom to boys. That way all my broken stuff just fits in around here. It’s really all part of the decor!
I gave Eli a hammer, and Andrew a screwdriver. I used the wire brush and we beat the snot out of the board. This absolutely made Eli’s day! He was having so much fun. Andrew just tried eating the screwdriver, but he still had fun.
Then it was time to darken the wood up a bit. I decided to use some stain I had on hand, and chose Dark Walnut by Minwax.
My board turned into this when it was stained:
I loved the dark color but it was starting to look a little more “perfect” than I wanted it to. So I decided to do some dry painting to it to rough it up a bit.
I picked some paint from the “Oops” section of Home Depot for $0.50.
To dry paint, all I did was take my brush, dip it in the paint and then wipe it off with a paper towel until most of the paint was out of the bristles.
Then I just wiped very lightly on the board, up and down and all around. And it turned into this:
Ahh, much more imperfect. There we go.
I marked off my lines every foot. Make sure to adjust the first line depending on how high you want to hang it so the measurements are accurate. I decided to hang our board 6 inches off the floor, so I started my first foot-marking at 6 inches up the board.
Then just paint away!
I printed off some numbers in the size I wanted on plain paper (the font I used was Superclarendon), and cut them out with an X-acto knife. Line them up, tape them on and paint neatly.
You want to make sure that you use a light coat of paint because if you slop it on it will cause some oozing and leaking.
You can tell it’s not real crisp up close. I tried to touch up as much as possible, but once you get it all up and step back, you really can’t tell.
I added the inch marks by just free painting a strip using a square.
The kids noticed it when it went up right away. Now every night Andrew wants me to measure him!
And of course Eli does too!
I still need to put all the measurements on there, which I will probably do with a fine paint pen. That’ll be for another day! It only took me three years to get it up on the wall, maybe by the time Eli’s 6 I’ll get some measurements up!
And there ya have it, the DIY Ruler Growth Chart!