Stump Side Table

I don’t know about you, but I love free furniture.  Well, I’ve had my eye on stump side tables for a while now.  Here’s what I’m talking about:

westelmstumpWest Elm: $249

dipdyed

Anthropologie: $298-$398

Ouch!  They’re cool, but that just is not happening at those prices.  I was pretty sure I could make something very similar in a much less expensive way.  We’ve had all of this wood sitting on the side of our house for the last year.

IMG_3033

We are hoping to heat our house this winter with it, but I had my eye on a piece or two for this project.

A lot of them were short and skinny – great for Grant who had to chop these by hand, bad for me who wanted a tall, wide stump.  I eventually found one that was wide enough for my liking, and I knew that I was going to put the stump on legs anyway, so this was perfect.

I started by removing all the bark with a hammer and chisel.  This wood had been drying for over a year, so the bark fell off pretty easily.

IMG_3031

 

After I got all the bark off, it was time to sand.  I used my circular sander and it went pretty fast.

 

IMG_3065 IMG_3066

Now I’ve seen DIY-ers who have left the dark brown on the stump, but I wanted to get it all off, so the sanding took me a little longer.

IMG_3075

 

I left dark brown on the bottom 4th or so of the stump because I had planned on adding a dipped paint to the stump.  I did make sure it was sanded smooth though.

After that I applied two coats of Minwax Dark Walnut stain to the top and sides, not worrying about the very bottom.  After that dried, I applied 2 coats of polyurethane.  Some would suggest adding more, but I’m just impatient and my worst pet peeve in DIY projects is drying wait time.  So it was all I could take to wait through the drying process of two coats of poly!

IMG_3086

 

Then it was time to add the legs.  I don’t know if you can tell yet, but my stump wasn’t exactly level.  And we don’t have a chainsaw to fix that, so I had to improvise.  I decided to use threaded pipe and floor flanges, because then I could screw them in to the desired length and try to even the top out a little.

 

IMG_3083

 

IMG_3078

 

After the legs were on, it was time to add the white paint.  I applied the white paint after the top had poly on it.  I was afraid that the poly would turn my white paint an icky yellow color.  I used Frog Tape to make my paint line.

 

IMG_3087

 

I added 2 coats of primer and then 3 coats of Valspar bright white in Semi-gloss.

 

IMG_3100

 

And now for the finished project:

 

IMG_3108

 

And my little model wanted to show it off too:

 

IMG_3104

 

 

IMG_3113

 

Isn’t it cute?  Not perfect, but cute and full of character!  And for under $10 vs. roughly $300??  I’ll take it!

Oh, and this last picture gives you a sneak peak at our new DYI flooring in our sunroom that I plan to share soon!

Advertisements

About truthsofablessedlife

Welcome to my blog! I am first and foremost a loved daughter of the Most High. I am a blessed wife to an awesome man who loves the Jesus above all else. I am also a Momma of 3 wild kiddos, who give each day a blessing in a whole new way. And when I have time I also work as a Nurse Practitioner on a casual basis. Our family has a special passion for family time, adoption, food, and thrifty DIY/home improvement projects and would love to share some of it with you! In fact, I love creating so much I have started my own little Etsy business!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s