Well, I’m finally getting around to showing you our new flooring in the sunroom. We had water damage this spring to our sunroom carpet and a portion of the subfloor due to a leaky door, so it needed to be replaced. We were hoping to wait to eventually replace the carpet in there, but the water damage spurred us on to do it sooner rather than later. We knew that we didn’t want to put carpet back in there, and we also knew that we didn’t want to spend a ton of money. So we went to the internet for ideas. And that’s when we found DIY plywood plank flooring. We used the post by Centsational Girl for inspiration.
So here is how we installed plywood plank flooring for $150!
We bought six sheets of plywood at $17 each. Then we had the nice guys at Home Depot cut each board into 6-inch strips – for free.
The worst part of this project was all the sanding. Imagine that! Plywood is very rough, so I had to make sure all the boards were as smooth as possible considered there would be a lot of bare tootsies walking on them.
When I got them sanded and laid them out in the sunroom the night before we were going to install them, we realized that the 8-foot long boards looked ridiculous.
So we cut each board in half into 4-foot boards. That looked much better, since these were going into a smaller room.
The next morning we started installation. We started in the very corner and worked our way across, cutting the boards at the end of each row to fit. We used trim nails and put about 10 nails in each board. They aren’t going anywhere.
Now some have suggested putting some liquid nails on each board to give it extra security, but we are thinking this may be more of a temporary floor for us, so we did want to option of being able to tear it up someday, so we chose to forego the liquid nails.
We’ve seen some projects that separate the rows by using the width of a quarter, but we decided we wanted ours butted right up against each other. The reason being that I really wanted to blog the word “butted”. No, really, no particular reason. We just liked that look better.
After all the boards were inserted, then it was time to break out the sander again. I used 240 grit at this point to try and make it as smooth as possible.
So after that was all dry, I made the homemade “poor man’s stain.”
I used a foam brush for this part. You can see up above that it was very thin, and so it would bubble up and show brush marks if I didn’t take my time and go with the grain of every board. I left the stain on a little thicker on some boards to make them a little darker.
Here it is all done and dried. Then it was time to add the topcoat. We chose oil-based polyurethane designed for floors. The oil-based poly is more durable than the water-based, but the downside is that oil is naturally more yellow, and will continue to yellow with time. We chose protection over no yellow, so we shall see what time does to the color of this! We did 3 light coats – one layer for each boy in this house (2-year-old with mad throwing skills, 3-year-old that likes to hit things, and dog with longer-than-should-be nails).
Here’s the final product!
We really like the way it turned out! Especially because it was CHEAP!
Here’s the final cost breakdown:
Plywood boards: $108
White/gray paint: already had on hand
Black paint sample: $2
Poly top coat: $30
Total cost of our new floor: $148!!
I’ll get another update on the complete sunroom makeover soon!