It feels good to be back on the blog. I know I haven’t been writing much recently, for several reasons. But I’m back, and can’t wait to keep everyone updated as we continue to finish up this adoption process.
We have been working on getting the boys into the same room for about a year now, so that we would have a free room for our third child. We have slowly been updating the room but since our recent referral, we thought we better finish things up. So let’s get looking, shall we?
Here is how the room looked after Eli was born. This is after he was big enough for a toddler bed, but otherwise it was basically the same as when he was born.
So we basically tore the room down to the bare bones and redid it. We sanded down the walls, tore out the carpet and scraped the popcorn off the ceiling. And a side note – that popcorn ceiling is nasty stuff. Seriously the messiest job I’ve ever done to date. Not sure if I’ll ever do that again – might be something that I slap down some cash and have a professional do it. But I love the end result!
We took all the trim out and painted it.
Grant developed some mad carpentry skills and made built-ins for the closet.
I took some hold hardware I had lying around and transformed them:
I painted them white and them scuffed them up.
Then I added attached some jute to add some rustic flair.
We made a bunch of other stuff, but I got lazy and didn’t take pictures of the process. Let’s just get to the reveal anyway!
And here’s our big boy room!
The desk and shelves we built with wood and industrial piping. The little hanging buckets were a garage sale find. The tractor seat chairs were a clearance find from Target.
Up on the shelves, I turned some plain wood magazine holders from Ikea into some boy-inspired storage using paint, stain and a homemade deer stencil.
Past the desk and shelves, is the reading nook. I made the bean bag chair – my biggest sewing project yet!
Above that are our gutter shelves that we made to hold the kids’ favorite books.
Going around the room, I sewed up these curtains quick and then we made the curtain rod out of piping to add to the industrial feel.
Back around the other way, is the awesome shelving unit that Grant built from the ground up. Amazing!
Speaking of Grant’s awesome builder skills, he just whipped up this holder for the boys’ bows and arrows in about 5 minutes out of scraps we had lying around.
A few other small additions to add to the boy look tops off the room:
This really turned into a fun room that the boys actually enjoy hanging out in. I will catch them drawing at their desks or reading in their bean bag chair and it makes all the hard work worth it!
I still have to post about the guest bathroom update we did last summer/fall, and will hopefully get to that soon! But we are now well into updating our little girls room to get ready for her arrival, and I can’t WAIT to share that with you once it’s done! I love how it’s turning out so far!